Thursday, October 17, 2013

30 Programs in 30 Days


So a goal of mine since reading this incredible article about Jennifer Dewalt is to code 30 programs/projects in 30 days. Uploading everything to my github.com account with an accompanying blog post. Some of the larger projects will be done incrementally. Doing as much as I can each day and uploading that version of what I got done in an Agile ( albeit develop, test and release in a 1 day ) format. If I can reach 30, I'd like to continue and set a new stretch goal.

Project Outline / Goals:

1. Build a different program/project everyday for 30 consecutive days.
2. Every website must be accompanied by a blog post.
3. Any code I write must be made publicly available so that everyone can see it.
4. Projects can build upon others, but a working version must be released each day.

Benefits:
  • Being able to develop whatever I want through directed self-study increases motivation
  • Making and seeing incremental progress on projects
  • Being accountable/visible to/for my code leads to proper practices like readability, comments, unit tests
  • Improving and expanding a diverse set of programming skills 
Cons:
  • Effects on Social Life
  • Demands of a Full Time Software Engineering job can be draining



No comments:

Post a Comment